Wednesday, 6 February 2013

My Hospital Bag - For The Birth

It might seem quite early to be packing a birthing hospital bag (I'm 32 weeks pregnant) but you can never really be sure when baby is going to make an appearance & if baby is early I don't want to be packing a bag while having contractions.

Worst comes to worst I should be able to send George home to pick something up (we live just around the corner from the maternity hospital) but as it's highly unlikely that he would have a clue where I've hidden everything I'd rather pack too much than too little. Anyway I wanted to share our list, incase you're as stuck as I was, I hope it helps :)

Essentials for you:
  • Antenatal Notes
  • Sanitary Towels - I've heard these are really great & they're cheap; which considering you need a fair few is always a bonus.
  • Breast Pads - I've also heard great things about these.
  • Towel - for your shower after the birth & you might also want a small flannel.
  • Food - I'm going to be packing a boost bar, a drink, some fruit & a feast for George because I know he'll get hungry.
Clothes for you:
  • A loose fitting t-shirt for the birth - (if you're having a water birth you might want a bikini top too) I chose this one a few sizes up from what I would normally buy.
  • Warm socks.
  • Hair Bands.
  • Knickers - I've got 2 packs of 4 black "shorts" in 2 different sizes (just incase.) You don't want to spend a lot on these because you're probably going to throw them after.
  • Nursing Bra - I chose these because I don't see the point in spending a lot at this stage as I'm not 100% sure that my cup size will stay the same.
  • PJ's - for the stay or for the birth, whichever.
  • You're going home outfit - probably best to stick with your pregnancy clothes for this stage, you're not going to be your pre pregnancy shape straight away & you'll want something loose fitting & comfortable - I'm going to pack a pair of yoga pants, some track suits & loose fitting tops.
  • Comfortable shoes - Uggs or something similar are perfect, or if you're somewhere a bit warmer a pair of comfortable sandals.
In your wash bag:
  • Tooth Brush & Toothpaste.
  • Deodorant.
  • Facial Wash or Facial Wipes - I've decided to pack baby wipes so that I can freshen up as easily as possible.
  • Shampoo & Conditioner & a Hairbrush - I wasn't going to include these but if I am going to be showering at the maternity unit I want my own brands with me.
  • Lip Salve - I always carry mine with me anyway, but I've been told it's something a lot of new mums wish they'd packed if they didn't so I thought it was worth a mention.
Optional extras for you:
  • Pillow - I just fancy having my own pillow on hand. I've also been told a hot water bottle is lovely, but I don't actually have one so I'm going to have to give that one a miss...
  • TENS machine & spare batteries - if you're thinking of using one you might actually be wearing this already, but it's best to keep it all together for now anyway.
  • Mobile Phone & your charger - to keep people up to date.
  • Camera & batteries/charger.
  • Music/magazines/books.
  • Eye/Sleep Mask - to help you rest if you want to/can sleep between contractions. I'm actually taking one that was free on a flight so no money wasted if I don't use it.
  • Moisturiser - Similar reasoning at the lip salve.
  • Makeup - As unlikely as it is that I will be worrying about my appearance I would rather be prepared so I'm going to pack: Mascara, Tinted Moisturiser & a Tinted Lip Balm.
Essentials for baby:
  • Nappies - I'm packing quite a few of these as I was fortunate enough to be given a bunch at my baby shower.
  • Tiny Baby Outfits - It's difficult to know which size to buy so I have packed 1 vest & 1 sleep suit in the size "tiny baby."
  • New Born Outfits - I have packed 3 Vests & 2 Sleep suits in the size "new born"
  • Hat - Just the one.
  • Cardigan - or something similar to pop baby in when you leave the hospital.
  • Car Seat - This won't be in the hospital bag but it would be silly not to mention it. After a lot of research we've chosen this one.
  • Cotton Wool - For cleaning baby.
  • Feeding products - if you're planning on bottle feeding from birth you need to pack your own bottles & formula.
  • Scratch mitts & nail clippers/nail file.




Search This Blog

Loading...