Worst comes to worst I should be able to send George home to pick something up (we live just around the corner from the maternity hospital) but as it's highly unlikely that he would have a clue where I've hidden everything I'd rather pack too much than too little. Anyway I wanted to share our list, incase you're as stuck as I was, I hope it helps :)
Essentials for you:
- Antenatal Notes
- Sanitary Towels - I've heard these are really great & they're cheap; which considering you need a fair few is always a bonus.
- Breast Pads - I've also heard great things about these.
- Towel - for your shower after the birth & you might also want a small flannel.
- Food - I'm going to be packing a boost bar, a drink, some fruit & a feast for George because I know he'll get hungry.
Clothes for you:
- A loose fitting t-shirt for the birth - (if you're having a water birth you might want a bikini top too) I chose this one a few sizes up from what I would normally buy.
- Warm socks.
- Hair Bands.
- Knickers - I've got 2 packs of 4 black "shorts" in 2 different sizes (just incase.) You don't want to spend a lot on these because you're probably going to throw them after.
- Nursing Bra - I chose these because I don't see the point in spending a lot at this stage as I'm not 100% sure that my cup size will stay the same.
- PJ's - for the stay or for the birth, whichever.
- You're going home outfit - probably best to stick with your pregnancy clothes for this stage, you're not going to be your pre pregnancy shape straight away & you'll want something loose fitting & comfortable - I'm going to pack a pair of yoga pants, some track suits & loose fitting tops.
- Comfortable shoes - Uggs or something similar are perfect, or if you're somewhere a bit warmer a pair of comfortable sandals.
In your wash bag:
- Tooth Brush & Toothpaste.
- Facial Wash or Facial Wipes - I've decided to pack baby wipes so that I can freshen up as easily as possible.
- Shampoo & Conditioner & a Hairbrush - I wasn't going to include these but if I am going to be showering at the maternity unit I want my own brands with me.
- Lip Salve - I always carry mine with me anyway, but I've been told it's something a lot of new mums wish they'd packed if they didn't so I thought it was worth a mention.
Optional extras for you:
- Pillow - I just fancy having my own pillow on hand. I've also been told a hot water bottle is lovely, but I don't actually have one so I'm going to have to give that one a miss...
- TENS machine & spare batteries - if you're thinking of using one you might actually be wearing this already, but it's best to keep it all together for now anyway.
- Mobile Phone & your charger - to keep people up to date.
- Camera & batteries/charger.
- Eye/Sleep Mask - to help you rest if you want to/can sleep between contractions. I'm actually taking one that was free on a flight so no money wasted if I don't use it.
- Moisturiser - Similar reasoning at the lip salve.
- Makeup - As unlikely as it is that I will be worrying about my appearance I would rather be prepared so I'm going to pack: Mascara, Tinted Moisturiser & a Tinted Lip Balm.
Essentials for baby:
- Nappies - I'm packing quite a few of these as I was fortunate enough to be given a bunch at my baby shower.
- Tiny Baby Outfits - It's difficult to know which size to buy so I have packed 1 vest & 1 sleep suit in the size "tiny baby."
- New Born Outfits - I have packed 3 Vests & 2 Sleep suits in the size "new born"
- Hat - Just the one.
- Cardigan - or something similar to pop baby in when you leave the hospital.
- Car Seat - This won't be in the hospital bag but it would be silly not to mention it. After a lot of research we've chosen this one.
- Cotton Wool - For cleaning baby.
- Feeding products - if you're planning on bottle feeding from birth you need to pack your own bottles & formula.
- Scratch mitts & nail clippers/nail file.